Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Trip to Virginia

Hello there..

It has been a while since I have updated this thing! Well, at the end of October, Zach and I had the opportunity to spend a long weekend with his Aunt Kathy and Deb in Virginia! I have been wanting to visit Virginia for almost 5 years now to see where Zach grew up. For those of you who do not know, Zach was born in Norfolk, VA and raised there until his family moved to Birch Run, MI when he was in middle school.

Anywho... we left Wednesday afternoon after dropping Henry off at my parent's house for a weekend of fun! He loves to stay and play on the farm! Zach and I dressed alike for the long drive so that we could easily find each other at rest stops ;-) ahhaha... just kidding! We are just dorks with similar tastes in clothing! (No idea why this won't publish Horizontal)



I drove for a while, but Zach ended up driving through the night while I slept (hey, I am pregnant!). We arrived in VA at 4:30 a.m. and went straight to his Aunt's house to crash out in a real bed! His Aunt lives in Portsmouth VA and agreed to keep us for the weekend, which was so grateful of her!

Thursday we just bummed around, adjusting after a night with little or no sleep. Aunt Kathy took the day off on Friday and volunteered to drive us anywhere we wanted to go and see! I woke up with a nasty feeling stomach and passed it off as pregnancy pains and we were off. We drove around different areas in Norfolk, past Zach's childhood home and elementary school, through the Navy yard and then headed off for Virginia Beach. On the way, I started to feel REALLY sick to my stomach and held my hand over my mouth while asking Zach's Aunt to pull over QUICKLY! She swerved across 4 lanes of traffic and pulled into the ditch, where I threw up on the side of the road! It was SO embarassing! After that ordeal, we decided to head back to Kathy's house and rest for a bit, in hopes that I would feel better later.

I slept for a few hours and felt better, but still not 100%. We grabbed some lunch and headed back to VA Beach because I was not about to waste my vacation in bed! We walked the boardwalk in VA Beach and got ourselves some cheesy souveniers. It was chilly and very windy... much like Michigan weather. Otherwise, I would have really wanted to put my feet in the ocean.

Saturday Aunty Kathy, Zach and I went to Colonial Williamsburg for the day. It was a lot of fun! We walked through all of the old houses, ate at an old tavern and saw all kinds of really neat things. One of our favorite places was John Wythe's house, who was Thomas Jefferson's tutor. George Washington stayed at their house for three weeks and you could stand in the bedroom that he once stayed in. It was pretty cool, especially for my History buff husband!

Saturday was a full day and thankfully the rain held off until the very end of the day. We went to bed early and left VA at 5:30 a.m. on Sunday to head back home. It was a good trip... but went by way too quickly! We were so thankful to Aunt Kathy for taking such great care of us while we were there!

I am still not very savvy with this blog thing... so I am attaching some pics from our trip to the end of this post.

Zach's childhood home in Norfolk


Thomas Wythe's house in Colonial Williamsburg



Us in the stocks at Colonial Williamsburg



Zach sitting in George Washington's seat at the Episcopal church in Colonial Williamsburg. (It wasn't very comfy)