Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baby Update

Hello All!

I am currently 28 weeks pregnant and had another doctor appointment today. I met with Debra DeGram, who is the other certified nurse midwife that works at NOCH where I go. I have met with her before and really like her a lot.

I had a test for gestational diabetes (NO FUN!) last week and found out today that the tests showed that I do not have gestational diabetes or high blood sugar. HOORAY! That means I can still get my customary monthly donut after my Dr. Appointment. :-)

My weight and blood pressure are both looking very good at this point. Thus far, I have gained less than I should have, but that is okay because I was not over or under weight to begin with. I try to be healthy... but do sneak in a candy bar now and again ... only because I can :) Babies need chocolate!

My belly is measuring right where it should be for how far along I am. Heartbeat was strong and good. She was able to find it and get a very clear reading. When the baby would move, her heartbeat would go up and then back down when she would rest. Deb informed me that this is a very good sign that her cardiac and neurological systems are working well. Good to hear :) Deb felt for the baby's position and noted that I was actually having a small braxton hicks contraction at the moment. I had read (in one of my MANY baby blogs) that these start occuring and you usually don't notice them. The baby is positioned much how I am imagined her to be. I can usually feel her kicking on my right side just beneath my rib cage. The other night I actually felt the 1-2 kick of both of her feet. :) She is active mostly at night and early in the morning, which makes sense because all my activity in the day lulls her to sleep. :)

All-in-all, a positive report from the dr. today. I was happy to hear things are going so well. I do not need to start going every other week yet because I have no complications and things are going well. Downside=no donut two weeks from now :( hehe. I will survive!

In February we are going to childbirth preparation class that is offered at the hospital. I am also going to go to a breastfeeding class as I really want to be the best informed on that before the little bundle arrives! We also have to take a pre-admission tour of the hospital with a nurse and lactation consultant. This way you meet the staff, see the rooms and fill out all the necessary paperwork ahead of time.

Things are coming along for the nursery and I am eager to get things set up and ready. "Nesting" has set in for me and I can't contain my feelings of needing to constantly organize and clean things! In February we are going to work to get the spare bedroom cleared so that in March we can set everything up and be ready in case of an early arrival. :)

That's about all the baby updatin' I have for this time.